Friday, January 14, 2011

WE'RE MOVING


Hello Meat-Heads! As you can see by Eric's former home, there's some changes about! Yes, unfortunately, this will be the last blog post here at deadmeatcomic.blogspot.com.
HOWEVER, from now on, Evolution of An Idea will continue to update and post over at www.eatdeadmeat.com, so you can have your meat and eat it too!

Why the move? Well it seems like a perfect topic to cover here, so let's take a look!

When I started this blog, I knew that this site was not going to be the home of my comic Dead Meat, and while I built eatdeadmeat.com, this was the easiest place for me to do a blog, and it's been fantastic in the months that I've been using it. So I launched eatdeadmeat.com, and everything was great! I had a great first week, lots of hits, lots of eyes on my comic, but that was due pretty much exclusively to the fact that I was putting up a page a day for that first week, which kept people coming back. Once I settled in to my page-a-week format, pageviews dropped off dramatically. Yes, I can hear you fine when you say "No kidding, genius"--you don't have to yell. So when I took a step back I saw what I had: One site that updated one or more times a week (the blog), and another that updated once a week (the comic). I want people to see both of these...but at the time it didn't occur to me that having two separate sites could be a bad idea! In doing that I instantly cleaved the numer of hits eatdeadmeat.com could have, because half of its potential audience was going to another site, instead of RETURNING to eatdeadmeat.com more than once a week!

This brings us to what I believe is the golden rule of running a blog/website/whatever: people will come to your site only as frequently as you give them reasons to, and in the easiest way possible. Again, no need to yell, I can hear your heckles quite well. Yes, even you in the back, sir. I know this is an obvious thing to say, but sometimes it's the obvious things that get overlooked. Take those KFC/Taco Bell combos that are everywhere now. Can you believe that obvious combo had been overlooked for so long? Me neither.

Ok, ok! Anyway, my point is that I had these two related websites that were existing separately, not being able to maximize site traffic on their own, so I've decided to combine them into the monster that they now are. Hopefully you'll continue to read this blog at its new home, and hopefully you'll continue to enjoy Dead Meat as the story unfolds! What all of this basically comes down to, and also the point of this blog, is that this whole project is a learning process, and it's going to take me a while to get the hang of it, and hopefully anyone out there interested in doing the same will be able to learn from my mistakes. No one does it right the first time!


Until next time,


Follow us on twitter for all your Dead Meat Updates!: twitter.com/deadmeatcomic

No comments:

Post a Comment